Sunday, May 11, 2008

Use Google or MS Word as Dictionary

Sometimes when you don’t even know how to spell a word, Google and MS word come into play. This is what I usually do. Although the best dictionary WordWeb has a suggestion capability but usually it doesn’t do a very good job.

Let’s take a look at spelling a word “Gentlemen” and I don’t know how to spell it and I spell it as “Gentalment”. In MS Word I can right click the word and it shows me the suggested correct spelling. To check the meaning of the world I can just press “Shift + F7” but usually this MS Word dictionary sucks. To check the meaning, I would suggest to use WordWeb.

Another method is using the Google Search Engine (my preferable choice) but only if you have the access to the internet. It comes out something like below “Did you mean: gentlement’s”



When you click on it, it comes out the Wikipedia’s definition. However, I do not really like Wikipedia’s definition too. The explanation is just too long for me. So I would still prefer to use the WordWeb to check the meaning.

So this is what I did to check a word spelling and it's meaning:

With Internet
  1. Google It
  2. WordWeb It

Witout Internet
  1. Winword it
  2. WordWeb it

p/s: Too bad the OpenOffice does not have suggested word capability. I hope one day they will support it.

Btw, I don't think this is something new. I believe a lot of people have been doing this especially using the Google as dictionary.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

normally i use my handphone to look for word, but some time use word to correct spelling

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ChampDog said...

Nishadha, nice information that you have. Thanks for telling me about it.

Slow computer performance said...

I always use Google when I ain't sure about how to write a specific word. It is a very nice tool from Google, the auto correction.

ChampDog said...

Ya, it is cool isn't it? :)


Didn't find what you want? Use Google Search Engine below: